Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Doe Camp

My husband is pretty amazing.  This year Eric volunteered to stay home deer hunting weekend to watch the kids, so that I could go spend a girls' weekend with my Mom and Grandma Edie.  He knew how important it is for me to spend time with her and with her recent diagnosis, we just don't know how much time there will be. 

One thing Grandma has talked about for years is making a cookbook of all her favorite recipes.  I decided to use this girls' weekend time to work with her on it, pulling together her favorite recipes, hearing the stories behind them, and entering them into her very own cookbook.  We had a blast looking through the many recipes.  There were many amazing and special dishes, like her sweet and sour cabbage and poppy roll, as well as some more "interesting" items, like the Roast Raccoon recipe from the days when Grandpa Arnie used to hunt and trap raccoons.  We found Great Grandma Louisa's handwritten recipe notebook and along with it, her famous Gingersnap recipe.  Grandma Edie was feeling pretty plucky on Saturday night and decided that we needed to make some caramel corn.  It was unsurprisingly delicious.  I can't wait for this cookbook to be completed, and to see the beautiful compilation of the many recipes, stories, and pictures that are so near and dear to my family.







We spent the rest of the weekend eating (lots!) of good food, working on various craft projects, and trying to convince Grandma that it would be a good idea to get some rest. (She didn't want to miss anything!) I'm grateful to have had this time together with these beautiful and special women, and I'm grateful to wonderful husband, who put himself second in order to give me some time away.



No comments:

Post a Comment