Saturday, July 18, 2020

Happy 85th Birthday, Grandma!






Grandma Edie turned 85 today!  She has been battling pancreatic cancer for nearly three years, and really hoped she would be here to celebrate this milestone birthday.  She asked for a card from each of her grandchildren with one of their favorite memories in it.  Here is what I sent to her on her special day:

Grandma,

Happy 85th Birthday! You are such a special person to me and we have so many wonderful memories to look back on. I decided it would be easier to type them than hand write them in a card. Here are some of my favorites:
- One of my earliest memories of you was your Oldsmobile.  I don't remember much about it, but I remember thinking it was the height of class and fanciness, which of course made it the perfect for someone as classy as you!

- I remember sleepovers at the farm - special times when you made us waffles for breakfast and let us have a chocolate chip cookie out of the freezer.  I remember how fun it was when Sandy had her puppies and how much I loved to visit the calves and get to feed them if I was really lucky.  Of course, Grandma's treat jar was always stashed with tootsie pops!  I remember once playing around the farmhouse when I got into some stinging nettles.  I remember how you helped me put mud on them because it would help cool them and take the pain away.  I also remember helping Grandpa pick nightcrawlers for fishing, but you let me use your rubber kitchen gloves because worms are icky.

- I remember helping out at the Whitetail Christmas Tree farm...staying in the toasty warm camper, helping with the money and making sure each guest left with a candy cane.

- For some reason, I remember riding in the back seat of the car with Lucas and the two of us just singing our hearts out...probably to the Lion King.  You have always supported me in my music, and I am grateful for that.

- I have always felt such gratitude to both you and Grandpa for always showing up for us.  You have continued this demonstration of love through attending all of the birthday parties, graduations, concerts, and life events of not only your 12 grandchildren, but your great grandchildren, too.  As I look back at photos of piano recitals, school programs, baptisms, and birthdays, you have always been there to share in those moments with us.  This has been an incredible gift.  Thank you.

- I remember visiting you in Florida - at your beautiful home in Lily Lake.  It was so fun to go swimming, see the sights, and of course, go to Disney World.  I remember that somehow I convinced you and Grandpa to go on the Space Mountain roller coaster with us...even though you weren't too sure.  I don't think you went on it a second time haha
.   
- I remember when you taught me how to sew.  You helped me make a beautiful baby blanket for my newborn goddaughter, Vera.  That sewing lesson helped me gain the confidence to make bedding and curtains for my own babies many years later.

- Another special time for me was at my wedding, when I had the privilege of sharing a dance with all EIGHT of Eric and my grandparents in attendance.  I still adore the quilt you made for me and it is hanging on the railing over our stairs.

- Grandma, we've had so many fun girls weekends over the years.  Deer hunting weekend was always a special time to spend with you and mom.  We definitely did A LOT of shopping (especially Dayton's!), as well as sewing projects, good food, and just quality time together.  

- Those three generation times together  were so precious that we decided to take a Mediterranean cruise to celebrate our special relationship!  Taking that trip with you was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.  We had so much fun seeing a new part of the world and taking in all the beautiful scenery.  One of my favorite parts was that carriage ride around Malta, seeing the crystal blue water all around us.  We went to the Vatican together, though I don't think it was quite what either of us expected.  The dinners on the ship were so spectacular, which were definitely a highlight.  It truly was a trip of a lifetime!

Grandma, we've made so many wonderful memories together.  I am very grateful for you and the role you've had in my life.  Happy 85th Birthday!

With my love,
Tiffanie

And here is the response back from her: (I think it so cool that she uses email and the internet!  I love texting her pictures of the kids to stay in touch!)

Tiffanie, you really made my day.  What beautiful memories you shared with me! I hope you know how very special you are to me.  Thank you for taking time to put all the memories out there for me to cherish.  I love you.  Grandma Edie

No comments:

Post a Comment