Thursday, July 27, 2023

Juneau










I







 I told my kids that I wasn't coming home from Alaska until I saw a whale, and lucky for them, the whales really delivered while we were in Juneau.  We saw 24 beautiful humpback whales on our whale watching expedition, including a mother and calf, a breaching male, and a group of 13 who were bubble-net feeding.  It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen and feels so unreal.  Again, the scale in Alaska just feels so different with all these gigantic mountains and the ocean surrounding you.  It felt difficult to even comprehend that a tail fluke of one of those whales was 15 feet across.  I kept my eyes open the whole rest of the trip and spotted several other whales from our ship over the course of our week - probably totaling near 50 throughout our trip!  It was a long awaited bucket list item for me that I was so glad I had the opportunity to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment