Friday, June 10, 2016

Bird Dog

This morning I looked out the window and noticed Miles was acting weird.  He kept sniffing and circling a spot and was panting really hard.  I noticed him paw at something and thought, oh man, he's injured an animal and I'm going to have to go take care of it...barf.  So I hurried out there and called Miles to come in the house.  When I went out to investigate I found a young Mourning Dove that must have been on one of its first adventures out of the nest.  Nolan had spotted the nest in our big Silver Maple tree a few weeks earlier.  It looked nervous, but didn't show any major signs of injury, so I left it alone and went inside to call Wild Instincts to make sure I did the right thing.  They told me to let it be and check on it in a few hours.  It was likely that Mama Bird would come and take care of it.  Sure enough, I saw the Mama Mourning Dove come within a few minutes to rescue her little baby.  




I'm so glad that Miles didn't hurt it (admittedly partly because I didn't want to deal with a dead or injured bird - gag me...), but have to laugh at the fact that our blue blood "bird dog" would rather make friends with birds than hunt them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment