Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Nolan's First Day

Dear Nolan,

Today is your first day of 4K and I just got home from dropping you off at school.  Wow, this was much harder than I expected!  Not for you...you sailed through drop-off beautifully, bravely and confidently handling the situation better than I ever could have imagined you would.  See, we've been planning and preparing for this moment for months now, hoping we had given you the tools you needed to manage your anxious moments.  We've been talking about what school will look like and be like, so that you felt fully prepared.  We talked about how grown-ups always come back and that I will be there at the end of the day to pick you up.  And I am so very proud of you, my sweet boy, for how courageous and brave you were this morning.  I'm just in awe.

The hard part is that while I worked my tail off preparing you, I didn't really take the time to prepare myself for what things would be like with you gone all day.  When I first walked in the door at home, I saw your beloved green baba laying on the floor, and realized that the days you carry that blanket everywhere you go are numbered.  Man, this has happened so quickly!  Weren't you just that itty bitty (or maybe not so itty bitty) baby who I rocked and snuggled yesterday?  How can you already be in school?!

It is so quiet around the house today, which is what I beg you for on a daily basis, but now that it's quiet, it feels all wrong.  I miss my little sidekick and the billion questions you ask me every day.  But I know this is a necessary part of growing up.  It's really the first time my parenting has been put to the test - your first taste of some independence.  I hope that you are still "beating the fears" and managing any new situations that scare with you that same brave confidence I saw this morning.  I also hope that you are being kind to your classmates, and showing them the beautiful, friendly, and fun boy that you are. 

I couldn't possibly be any prouder of you and I can't wait to see your smiling face and hear all about your first day!

Love,
Your Mama






No comments:

Post a Comment