Monday, October 8, 2018

Team Booker

This fall has been an exciting time for our family in the horse department.  After over a decade with the same two horses, Mom decided we needed a change and purchased "I Wrote the Book," a beautiful, quiet APHA show gelding with a ton of points in a pile of events for our family to use and love.  She's had him for about a month and has had a blast getting to know him and ride him.  She's kept him at Amy Hayden's heated barn, so when Amy asked if she wanted to stall with the group at a show in Winona, Mom thought it might be fun for Annalyse and I to come, too.  

I haven't shown a horse in eight years.  I have only ridden one or two times in 2018.  I have never met this horse, my body is out of shape, and I am pregnant.  My old pre-baby body show clothes no longer fit.  I had a lot of reasons to say no, but decided it would be fun to take a gamble and relive my horse show glory days for a weekend.  I checked out FaceBook, eBay, and Goodwill and was able to create three different show outfits for less than $100.  Eric volunteered to watch the kids for the weekend, so as soon as I got Nolan to school Friday morning, I was on the road to Eau Claire.  

Overnight shows are so much work - and they require SO much packing.  Our trailer and truck were absolutely stuffed with all the things we needed for the weekend.  But before too long, we were on our way to pick up Booker from Amy's barn, and then on to Winona.  We spent the rest of Friday riding Booker and getting him ready for Saturday's classes.  

We placed in many of Saturday's classes and I was so proud of myself for tackling all the pattern classes, after not doing those since I had Hubie back in high school!  By Sunday, we placed in every one of our classes and missed winning our Showmanship class by only one point!  I was really proud of myself and excited that even after this many years away, and a few kids later, I could still be competitive.  It was so fun to have this opportunity with sweet Booker, and I can't wait until the next time to take him for a spin!













No comments:

Post a Comment