Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week 11: Family Evenings

Lately on Friday nights, we've been having family movie nights.  I've been able to find many of the Disney classic movies at the library and have been using Pinterest to come up with a movie-themed menu.  The whole family looks forward to it and I love the opportunity to share my favorite childhood movies with my kiddos!


We started with The Little Mermaid because I thought the kids would love the music and would get a kick out of my favorite character...Scuttle the seagull.  I was right and they belly laughed through all the sea creature shenanigans.  Our special menu included: Ariel's sea shells (shells and cheese), Octopus (hotdog), seaweed (green beans), crab (apples and clementines) and goldfish crackers.  We also made banana splits for dessert, but the kids just ate the ice cream and left the bananas.  We all had a great time and decided to make it a regular thing.


Our next movie was Aladdin.  I was really excited to show them this one because besides The Lion King, this was my all-time favorite Disney movie and I knew they would find it hilarious.  I cooked up a Middle Eastern themed meal including chicken kabobs, lentils, chickpeas, cucumbers and tomatoes with hummus, olives, and pita bread.  We gathered around the trunk in the living room and ate on the floor to get the whole experience.  Surprisingly, the kids loved it and ate really well.  They both tried things that were new to them and liked them.  I was impressed.  I made Magic Carpet treats for dessert, which were graham crackers topped with purple frosting, a Hershey bar on top of that, and finished with another layer of purple frosting and sprinkles.  They were very sweet, but delicious.



I think next week will be Beauty and the Beast.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment