Monday, April 15, 2019

Notre Dame


About fourteen years ago, I had the honor and privilege of singing for a High Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral.  It was one of the most moving and beautiful experiences of my life.  I remember singing Arvo Part's Magnificat as the smoke of the incense billowed around us.  We were back behind the High Altar, only steps away from The Pieta, watching the light stream through the magnificent stained glass.  I had goosebumps as the priest greeted the pilgrims and guests with the words, "the Lord be with you" uttered in about a dozen different languages, and hearing the answer back in each's native tongue. At that time, it made me proud to be part of the Catholic Church - where catholic means universal.  It was amazing to be a part of something so grand.  

Today, that magnificent building caught on fire and my heart aches.  The spire, roof, and much of the structure were horrifically damaged.  At this point, there has already been millions of dollars raised to help rebuild it.  (If only we were so quick to donate money to help God's people, who are the real  Church...but that's a rant for another day.)  I do hope that it is restored, so that my children and my grandchildren will have the amazing spiritual experience of the awe and grandeur of Notre Dame.








No comments:

Post a Comment