Friday, February 19, 2016

Scarf-ghan

When my parents came to visit last weekend, my Mom brought this scarf that my Uncle Todd made for me before I was born. This is one of my very favorite family treasures because of the story that goes with it. Uncle Todd was 12 at the time and had recently learned to crochet under the direction of my Great Grandma Lucy. He intended to make an afghan for the new baby boy in the family (my mom thought I was going to be a boy...much the same as I was certain Nolan was going to be a girl.) Anyway, the day came for me to be born and Grandma Edie told Todd it was time to go to the hospital to meet me, but the afghan wasn't finished. So he quickly tied on the tassels and the afghan became a scarf. I love that the stitches are uneven and the tassels are tattered and that it has a curve to it because of uneven tension, because I know it was made with love.  It's a good reminder of the purpose of giving - that the actual material gift is so much less important than the thought and love that goes into it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment