Tuesday, July 5, 2016

4th of July Weekend


I'm not one to get overly patriotic.  In fact, I am often kind of a Scrooge when it comes to feeling "Proud to be an American," particularly in this icky election season.  With ignorance and hate running rampant through our country I often find myself feeling embarrassed about the direction our country is headed and saddened by the lack our tolerance we seem to have for one another.  

However, this year the fourth of July happened to occur within a week of my getting home from Europe.  And I have to say, it's good to be home.  A few days ago, Western tourists were targeted in a deadly attack in the Istanbul airport.  Dozens were killed and hundreds were injured in the International Arrivals area by three suicide bombers who arrived by taxi.  This was literally the place where we were standing with many other fathers, mothers, and children only a few short days before when we arrived in Turkey.  It absolutely makes my heart sick.  I am so beyond grateful to be home to my babies, but feel a sort of guilt that simply by happenstance I made it home when others just like me did not.  Hate seems to be spreading everywhere and it is exhausting and overwhelming sometimes.

I'm not sure if it was a form of "survivor's guilt" or homesickness or something else altogether, but there were a few times this weekend that I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude.  Gratitude for the beautiful lazy Saturday I got to spend with my family.  Gratitude for the freedom from religious persecution and the privilege to be able to worship openly on Sunday morning.  Gratitude for the unbelievable beauty of God's creation around us as we drove up north to spend the day with dear friends.  Gratitude for the friends and family all around us and the carefree times we spend together.  Gratitude for the extraordinarily kind people in front of us at the parade, that shared all their candy with Nolan and even gave us their front row chair while they stood- wow, what an example!  Gratitude for our families that celebrate their connections in an abundance of ways and make spending time together a priority.  Gratitude for a safe home for my family; a place where we don't have to lock our doors and can sit outside and watch the sunset.  The list is unending and I think it is always easier to see after some time away from home or a traumatic event.  In this case it was both.

I can't say that I won't be rolling my eyes at the buffoonery coming down the pike during our election season and I still believe there is much work to be done in our country to promote equality and tolerance.  However, this weekend I really did feel proud of my country and grateful for the absolutely beautiful area I am blessed to call home.

On Sunday, we headed up to Land O Lakes to spend the day on the lake with the Modes and the Naatzes.  Nolan and Liam liked doing cannonballs off the dock!

This was Livi's first time "swimming" in the lake.  She loved splashing around!

Lots of little girls to play with!  Livi (10 months), Hannah (14 months), and Norah (3)


Nolan was really brave and loved swimming in the lake.  He had no fear, which was very different from last summer.  Yay, buddy!



I can't even handle her cuteness.


Baby!





Livi's first popsicle! Yummy!

Love snuggling this sweet baby girl!

4th of July parade - Nolan really didn't care for the loud sirens and horns.  Livi was unfazed.  

Great Grandma Ruby came with us!

I know I have three pictures here that are almost identical, but I love them all for different reasons. This is such a classic Livi pose...all snuggled in with her thumb in her mouth.  Some days I wish she would stay this little and snuggly forever!

This one just cracks me up.  Look at those chompers.  Cheese!

Such a good natured, sweet baby.  

We spent Monday afternoon at Uncle Tom's place.  Nolan swam to the raft for the first time this year.  Excited for him to have swimming lessons!

Emmett and Nolan had fun playing together and enjoyed snuggling on the pontoon.

Such a good Great Grandma - Grandma Ruby didn't miss a beat!  She went swimming in the lake and snuggled with Livi on the pontoon.  She amazes me.

Paige and Nolan relaxin' in the hammock.


Hooray for cousins! (Nolan, Olivia, Emmett, Jaxon, and Mason)






No comments:

Post a Comment