Sunday, December 31, 2017

Twelve years

Twelve years ago I was a senior in college.  Most of friends were a year older than I, so they had graduated and moved on to new places and new jobs.  Brigid had a new boyfriend, which consumed most of her time.  For the first time in my college life, I felt lonely.  Instead of being complacent, I decided to do something about it.  I got in touch with my friend, Brandon, who was having a New Year's gathering at his parents' home in Reedsburg.  He had moved to Milwaukee after graduating and was living with another SMU friend, Lance.  I decided to go to the party.  I didn't know at that time that that single decision to go was the reason I met my husband!

Eric was a good friend of Brandon's.  They met working at Hal Leonard and became fast friends.  I don't remember a lot of the details from that night (not because of drinking - I was drinking sparkling grape juice!) but I do recall laughing a lot, having a burping contest with Eric (I won!) and watching A LOT of video game playing.  

After the party, Eric and I found each other on Facebook and exchanged AIM screen names. We chatted everyday - sometimes multiple times.  What we found was witty banter and a desire to learn more about each other.  I went down to Milwaukee in February, which was when Eric took me out on our first official date.  


And here we are today - twelve years later.  We've both finished college and Master's degrees, held a variety of different jobs, gotten married, owned two houses, had two kids and a dog, and have a crazy, weird, wonderful life.  Throughout all this time, our witty banter and desire to keep learning about the other has never changed.  I'm glad I took the risk all those years ago, and I'm glad to have this guy by my side.  






No comments:

Post a Comment