Saturday, September 5, 2020

Homeschool






















After days of having one of the worst pits in my stomach ever, we decided to just take the plunge and get started.  Enough worrying about making the right decision and time to jump in!  In these days of Covid, there are no right decisions in terms of school - all of the options have positives and negatives.  Though there is still some doubt and uncertainty, Eric and I both feel that this decision will allow us to be the best parents for all three of our children and keep our family safe at the same time.  I mean, I've been paying for my education Masters for the last decade...time to cash in its usefulness!

I really wanted to have a morning meeting...a special time set aside to transition from mom to teacher, from home to school mentality.  It was also a tool that was used by nearly all the teachers at Pelican Elementary, so I thought it would provide some comfort in starting the day in a familiar way.  I write out a morning message on my big dry erase board and pick a book of the day.  I'm hoping to include songs, movement activities or short games during this time too, to help tie together the theme of the day.  

We spent our first two days of school making giant self portraits, doing a pantry scavenger hunt, some workbook pages, lots of reading, a hundred things outside scavenger hunt, and making patterns.  Auntie Brigid has been super in helping with some planning resources.  Nolan's first grade teacher, Ms. Kaster, has also been enormously helpful and supportive.  Next week we plan on starting our harvest unit, and per Brigid's recommendation we are going to try our hand at making lap books.  I'll update as we go!  This is going to be a wild ride, but I think it is going to be good for our family, even if it wasn't what we expected kindergarten and second grade would look like.  The time together will be so special and memorable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment