Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Potty Training






 I've been dreading potty training Simon for a while now.  I kept envisioning power struggle after power struggle, trying to convince my super independent little tot that pooping in the potty is better than a diaper.  The other morning, however, something magical happened.  We had just finished breakfast and for some reason Simon took off his pajama pants and his diaper.  Nolan was being sassy, so I was taking a minute to deal with that before I got Simon dressed for the day.  All of a sudden, Simon yelled, "I have to pooooooop!!!" I asked him if he wanted to try to go on his Elmo potty and he agreed and I put him on there and seconds later he pooped!  I couldn't believe it, and I think he was pretty shocked as well!  We celebrated big time and I told him we would have a potty party because he was a big boy now and didn't need to wear diapers.  He was so proud.  A little later I had him go in the bathroom with Nolan who showed him how to pee in the potty.  He idolizes Nolan so much, that it wasn't long before they were peeing side by side - Nolan in the toilet and Simon into his Elmo potty.  I gave him a sticker and he was thrilled, so proud of his success.  After that he didn't have many accidents, even in the following days.  He went straight to wearing underwear and going both pee and poop in the potty!  I couldn't believe it!!  His siblings made him a chocolate cake and I decorated it with a little potty figurine we had laying around. They also made celebratory posters.  I particularly love this one of the dinosaurs pooping.   I absolutely can't believe this was so easy (I guess he kind of owed us one...) and I'm so proud of my little-big boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment