Monday, May 22, 2017

Livi's First Ride and Nolan's first lesson

Nolan and I were both so excited to spend some time with the horses while we were in Eau Claire.  Nolan informed me that he planned on riding all by himself, and sure enough, my brave cowboy got right up there.  Elliot patiently responded to Nolan's cues and they both did a great job.  Nolan learned how to go, turn, and stop all on his own.  He just beamed with confidence and I was so proud of him. 


 


After watching Nolan ride for a good chunk of time, my brave little girl decided it was finally time for her first ride.  She's always been afraid of horses....talking the big talk like she wanted to see them, but every time she got close she would panic.  Not today!  She boldly and assertively marched up to Elliot and demanded, "Or-see, ride!"  We put her up there in the saddle with big brother and she just beamed.  She couldn't stop giggling when Elliot walked.  We'll make a cowgirl out of her yet!


It took a while, but finally the kids were convinced to let Mommy have a turn.  My trusty Elliot carried me around like we had just competed at a show yesterday.  He responded to every cue and we instantly were back to the team we always had been.  He is just such a great horse.  It breaks my heart that he struggles with lameness, because other than that he's pretty much the perfect partner.



After our ride, I spent some time teaching the kids about how to care for a horse and the names of all the tack and equipment.  Nolan was a captive audience and it was so fun to be able to share this part of my life with my kids.




No comments:

Post a Comment