Saturday, May 6, 2017

Prayer Concert

When Brigid and I were singing a lot in college, we saw each other's families quite often.  The Ryans rarely missed a concert or event, and always treated us to a special meal out before they left town.  Throughout my four years of college, they became almost a second set of parents for me - always supportive and encouraging.  It's been almost six years since I last saw them - at our wedding - and I was so excited to hear they were going to be up in our area for a few days, leading a parish retreat in Tomahawk.  

We were able to meet up on Monday for a few hours.  We took them to US Forestry and showed them around Rhinelander, before we headed to Tula's for lunch.  Unsurprisingly, Nolan took a liking to both Pat and Betsy and talked their ear off...and somehow managed to mow down an adult portion of French Toast, a side of bacon, a chicken tender, and a handful of Livi's french fries.  In true Ryan fashion, they brought us some gifts - some thoughtful and fun books for the kiddos, and Pat's homemade and legendary Irish Soda Bread with some jam. Pat and Betsy now have a grandson, Andrew, and it was so fun to be able to catch up with them after so many years apart.

Pat and Betsy also invited me to sing with the parish choir and their good friend, Fr. Jim Marchionda for the retreat's prayer concert on Wednesday night.  Being a music teacher, choir director, and accompanist, I rarely have the opportunity to just show up and sing.  It was a treat to have to opportunity to stretch my vocal chords a bit, and just sing my heart out on some beautiful music.  It's always good to catch up with old friends, and it made me so happy to get to see these two wonderful people!  



No comments:

Post a Comment