Thursday, August 8, 2019

Roxy



We lost Roxy this week.  She was one of the best dogs ever.  What's really crazy to me is that when I met Eric, Roxy was just a puppy.  It feels weird knowing that we were together her entire life!  Roxy was probably the smartest dog I've ever known.  She had weird "people" eyes and looked at you as an intellectual equal...not with the overly adoring eyes of most dogs.  She was pretty serious most of the time, except for every once in a while when she got into a spinning frenzy in the yard.  Eric was good at getting her to do it.  She knew a million tricks, but listened best to Steve.  The rest of us, she'd look at with her judgmental people eyes, clearly thinking "why don't you roll over, lady..."  Steve was her person and she would do anything for him, but she loved the grandkids too, and gently and patiently tolerated their many antics over the years.  I like to think she and I had a special bond because every time I went to their house, she would come over and rub her bearded face all over my pants.  She liked to "talk" and didn't like storms.  She stayed with us a few times when Steve and Patti were on vacation and she and I had many "conversations" about where she was allowed and where she wasn't.  She usually won the argument and rested those old bones on my couch.  She was the epitome of a good dog and we will all miss her greatly. Steve buried her ashes up on the hill overlooking the cabin, which was one of her favorite places.  He planted a tree for her on that spot and the kids made a gravestone for her.  It's as much as any good dog could hope for.  We miss you, Roxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment