Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Lower Level Refresh

One of the biggest eyesores when we moved into this house was the ever-so-lovely, fake wood paneling that graced the family room on the lower level.  I've been dreading tackling this project since before we even moved in, but with the upstairs all repainted and the holidays behind us, it was time to take on the beast.  


Because of the smoothness of that gorgeous faux-wood finish, I had to prime everything with a Gripper to help the paint to stick.  This doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.  But, every single groove need to be completely filled with this stuff - meaning I had to paint it all with a brush.  It took me about ten hours to do this.  It was awful. But even with the blotchy primer, I could catch a glimpse of the lightened up space, free from the deplorable fake wood and it made me excited for the finished product!


The painting went much faster than the priming, but still took me another six hours or so.  I picked a very light and neutral paint color since the room is in the lower level and has no windows.  I was really happy with the results and can't wait to put some finishing decorative touches on the room!  What a transformation!


We also decided to try something creative in the downstairs music room/guest room.  It's such an oddly shaped, multi-purpose area that I wanted to create some definition to make it feel less weird.  I ordered these white bookshelves from Amazon and Eric anchored them into the studs to create a faux-wall between the music area and the bedroom area.  I think it works really nicely - plus after years and years of not having places for our many, many books, we FINALLY have ALL of them out of storage and onto shelves!  I found some of these beautiful hymn prints on Pinterest and decided to make a small gallery wall of them to finish off that area.  I was really happy with the way it all turned out!  



No comments:

Post a Comment