Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Four

Today my sweet Nolan turned four.  And for some reason, four seems sooo much older than three. I've found myself lost in thought a few different times throughout the day, remembering Nolan's dramatic entrance into the world. Here is his story:

 He was supposed to arrive on October 19, but that day came and went because, as I would learn quickly, Nolan does things on his own time. Nearly a full week later, my water finally broke in the middle of the night.  We headed to the hospital and began the labor marathon.  By the next afternoon, my contractions were still not regular enough or hard enough to make labor progress effectively.  The doctor started me on Pitocin to get things moving.  I ended up needing the maximum dose in order to get into a pattern of strong, regular contractions.  And strong, they were!  By 6pm,18 hours after my water broke the night before, I was exhausted and pleaded for an epidural.  My knight-in-shining- scrubs arrived with the giant needle that made everything better.  I labored much more comfortably for the next several hours until about 10pm, when the nurse told me it was time to start pushing. Despite my every effort, I could not get my baby to move.  Unfortunately, during my stay I had already been through 3 doctor shifts and the third doctor and I were not a good match.  He communicated very little about what was going on and after hours of pushing we still had no baby.  Eric and I were both scared.  The doctor used the vacuum twice to try to help the process, but the vacuum popped off both times, scaring us both to death.  Another nurse was called in to help, but they were short-staffed, so she ended up rolling someone else's baby into our room.  Things were very intense and out of control.  I was exhausted, terrified, and hyperventilating, so they started me on oxygen.  The doctor turned off my epidural, thinking that may help speed the process up.  I hated him for that, and the resulting anxiety made things even more intense. Finally, after 24 hours of labor, three and a half hours of  chaotic and intense pushing, we finally got to see our beautiful son, Nolan James.  We didn't know our baby's gender ahead of time, and I was so certain that I was having a girl.  I remember being shocked that it was a boy and being amazed at how big he seemed.  After we knew our sweet boy was okay, Eric went to the waiting room to announce to our parents that he was here. Nolan's middle name is after my Dad, James, who was tearful finding out his grandson would be named after him.  My Mom was speechless because she was certain he would be a girl, too...and she had brought an entire trunkload of baby girl clothes to the hospital with her!  




Nolan is such a special kid.  He is kind and tender-hearted.  He cares about others and is a great big brother to Olivia.  He is outgoing and friendly, and lights up a room with his sparkling blue eyes and big goofy grin.  He is exceedingly intelligent, knowing facts and concepts far above his age level. Nolan is a very sensitive child, both with emotions and in response to the things around him.  Loud noises, big crowds of people, or unfamiliar situations can cause him to worry.  He has big feelings - a contagious laugh and a fiery temper.  He is very close to both Mommy and Daddy and looks to us for guidance when those feelings of his get too big and out of control.  He is a very brave boy.  Nolan is an incredibly early riser - often waking for the day before 5am.  We think it's because he just can't shut that busy mind down for long!   



Nolan has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh and make others laugh.  His antics are hysterically funny and he brings so much joy to our home.  He likes predictability and routine, and sometimes it's hard for him to adapt when we deviate from that.  He can be wild and crazy, especially when he's overtired, but also loves to snuggle with Mommy or Daddy and his green baba.



Eric took Nolan out today for a special Father-Son breakfast.  Nolan filled up on French Toast and bacon and felt so special to have that time with his Daddy.  After Eric got home from work, we headed to Casa Mexicana to celebrate as a family.  We filled up on yummy Mexican food and headed home for dessert and presents.  This summer I found a United States cake pan that I knew would be perfect for my little man's birthday, since he LOVES learning about the States.  I made him some yummy brownies and we enjoyed watching him open his presents.  







Nolan, you light up our family and bring joy to everyone you meet.  We are so grateful for the blessing that you are to us.  Happy Birthday, sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment